Sunday, May 23, 2004

My last day in Italy. I am heading over to Pompeii to check out the ruins. I saved Pompeii for last since it has spurred my dreams of Italy since age 10 when I wanted to be an archaeologist. Appropriate, I think.

My flight leaves at 7 a.m. tomorrow morning. However, the trains do not start running until about 6 a.m. to the airport from the train station so that isn't enough time to be there for two hours check in.

Therefore, I have to leave my luggage at the hotel all day and take the last train of the day at 11:30 p.m. into the airport. So I will be sitting all night in the airport, alone. I am not looking forward to it. However, I finally found a bookstore with some English-language books so I have a Nick Hornby, High Fidelity and a Jonathon Froer, Everything is Illuminated. I have started the former and love it, so hopefully staying awake will not be difficult.

I sat on the Trevi fountain yesterday as the sun was setting, debating on whether I actually wanted to throw coins into the fountain. I love just sitting there. I have been several times, and it is such a great people-watching spot. So I sat there, and I just decided to do it. I looked around (I was afraid I might get arrested for throwing coins in because there didn't seem to be many in the water), and I made my three wishes and tossed. It was such a cliche thing to do, but really, it was great. I felt young, adventurous, confident, and happy.

And then I realized, I am young, adventurous, confident, and happy.

No comments: