Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Take it off, take it all off

I honestly don't know how I missed this article in the Beaumont Enterprise today. Thanks to an anonymous friend for the tip. It covers the new craze of strip aerobics and the arrival of such exercise in southeast Texas. I can't quite wrap my mind around this one.

As the teacher of the class at World Gym says, "It's about doing something for yourself and feeling sexy," said Henson, who has taught the class about five months. "It's OK to move your body and have fun."

Ah, ok. And even some of the students have said that it has given them a better perspective on their own bodies, learning that regardless of looks, women can feel sexy, placing the emphasis internally instead of externally. I guess something that does that is pretty darn great.

I'm sure there are many opinions to the alternative, but in this era of self-loathing, the results of the class sound pretty good. Of course, I'm not sure that this is the way to go. Any takers?

************************************************************************************

Also, as an aside, feministe had a really great post and thread yesterday regarding self image. Since self image is something that I think both women and men are so screwed up about, it may interest you.

No comments: